Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dust It Off Sunday- A Magnet?

yes, for today's post I made a magnet! While sitting and watching the last Yankee Baseball Game... Boo Hoo... I was wanting to do something a bit different - something with a few of the products I had found while cleaning out the last couple of weeks. I had run across not one, not two but three boxes of Technique Tuesday's white chipboard shapes - I totally loved these when I bought them years and years ago! Now what was I going to make with them? Well I also came across three sets of stamps that I had gotten with a gift card a while back. I hadn't even opened them up yet... just been too busy with everything else I was working with. These stamp sets are from Stampers Anonymous, Tim Holtz Collection. "Good Thoughts" "Going Somewhere" and "Ultimate Grunge". (this set I think I just may be using a LOT more!) I totally love the look of Tim Holtz stuff... but I have a very hard time pulling it off. It is hard to be so free! LOL

Anyway... this is what I came up with...
Now you have to know here, I had no clue where I was going with this as I was making it. I was more or less just playing around with different things. First I started off by stamping the sentiment with embossing ink and embossing with espresso brown embossing powder. I then took the small checkerboard stamp from the grunge set and inked it with the embossing ink and stamped both sides of the chipboard, then heated with clear powder. (You can't really see that on the right I ended up covering most of it up) For some color I used my Pan Pastel paints and softly rubbed it down. making some areas a bit darker blue than others. I thought about just coloring with my Copics... but something I have learned... LOL ... Copics break down the embossing powder so don't do that ok?

Then I inked the edges with Tea Dye Distressing ink... it just had to have distressing ink on it, no choice there.....   I then went to play with making my flower. I found a scrap piece of pink card stock. I stamped it with the tiny alphabet stamp from one of the sets, I used Papertrey Vanilla ink - love that stuff. I then punched out three medium EK Success flower punches and two small. The petals were all inked with the Distress Ink, then I rolled them in towards the center with a paper piercer.... to give the flower more shape. To Fern punches and Branch punches all inked of course. I then glued it down around the edge of the oval. The center of the flower was going to be some sort of bling... but it just didn't feel right as I put that down. So instead I used a dot of my new Viva Pearl Pen. Oh my I am loving that thing!!

From there I thought I was finished. I stuck down a piece of magnet to the back and sat it there on my desk in front of me. But it was just so empty on the left side. So I dug through my newly found brads! I remembered seeing dragon fly brads... and yes, they were the perfect finishing item!

It was fun, different and well... for me personally I really feel the statement is true to heart! I plan on putting this one on my fridge and enjoying it.

It was nice taking a break from my normal and playing... We all should do more of that!

I am scheduling this one just prior to going to the wedding. I don't know when we will be home so I thought it was better this way - We have LOTS of rain in the forcast. Yes, RAIN... we need it so badly, but seriously not funny for an OUT DOOR wedding and reception. I am hoping and praying that it just keeps it cooler for this evening, and once things wrap up then the skies let loose! Maybe that will happen... I'll let you know.

Have a wonderful Sunday :0)

5 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

Beautiful job on the magnet!! That is one of my favorite sentiments too. Your flower is fabulous!

Kirsten Alicia said...

That's lovely, what a great idea.

Carol Dee said...

Wonderful verse on the magnet. Hope the wedding party stayed dry! And today you ae enjoying some refreshing rains. Hugs....

Helen said...

What a lovely idea. Hope the wedding stayed dry and you enjoy some rain today. Regards

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

love the magnet. I too have a hard time just letting go and letting the project take form. It usually ends up a goopy mess for me, so congrat's, it's fabulous.